Skip to main content

First Congregational Church of Sutton

To serve God by sharing the teaching, faith, love and forgiveness of Christ.

Welcome!
Sunday Sermons
Monthly Newsletter
Missions
Community Suppers
Youth Ministries
Vacation Bible School
Music Ministry
Stewardship
Membership
Mike's Sporting Store
Community Use
History
Lombard Pulpit
Stained Glass Windows
More History
Ministers
Contact Us
THE WOMAN OF SAMARIA
 
A gift from the Stockwell brothers in 1903 and destroyed in the 1938 hurricane.  The beautiful colored glass window - seen here as a pen and ink sketch - was later replaced by :
 
THE PLOWMAN WINDOW
 
The window reads:
I will lift up
my eyes until the hills
from whence cometh my help.
My help
cometh from the Lord which made
heaven and earth
The plaque underneath reads:

In tribute to the ministry of this church
unto six generations of the Lombard family.
Edwin Baker Lombard Patricia Lombard 1944

The plaque to the left of the window reads:

The Plowman
Beside the furrowed fields, the days work done,
he stands while from the flaming sky, beyond the
hills, the sunset lights the sphere with gold
The spire to which since infant years his eyes have
looked in reverent awe. Look up and live!
The horses, weary with their toil, see nought.
Above the grass on which they feed, and dream
Of naught, unless it be a crib well filled.
He sees a unseen world about to be;
He dreams a future far beyond the hills,
And doing the works the work of God amid
his fields, making God’s dream come true.

Frank A Lombard

Frank Alanson Lombard was ordained to the Christian Ministry of Education at First Church on Aug. 9, 1900. He went to the Orient to work in education where he served as Professor of English Literature, Doshisha University; lecturer in English Literature, Imperial University, Kyoto, Japan; sometime Lecturer in English Literature, Peking University, Peking, China. He also authored a number of books on Japanese Drama, Kabuki Theater and History of Japanese Education which are still in print and being used today. He is considered a preeminent scholar and educator of Asian studies. Please note the middle name, which is after his grandfather, Alanson Lombard, who built the pulpit at First Church.Herbert Edwin Lombard, brother of Frank Alanson has a plaque mounted at the rear of the church which reads
Herbert Edwin Lombard
1863-1940
Son of this Church
Honorary Pastor

Herbert was an ordained pastor who served in many area churches, including Webster, Tatnuck, Worcester, Grafton and Whitinsville. He is the only Honorary Pastor of First Church.

 

 IN MEMORY OF MARY TUCKER WHITING, ABIGAIL WHITING, ABBY WHITING HARVEY

Mary Tucker Whiting was a sister to Samuel Whiting b. May 29 1835 d. Oct 14 1836.

Abby Whiting was a sister to Samuel Whiting b. 6 Aug 1827, Married Edwin B Harvey on Sep 16, 1844.

 

GIFT OF SARAH A GOODNOW

Sarah A West Goodnow was the wife of Edward Augustus Goodnow who a distinguised financier and philanthropist born in Princeton. Mr. Goodnow owned a very successful wholesale and retail shoe and hat business, a cutlery manufacturing business and was also President of a major bank in Worcester. He was a benefactor of many causes, among which included building a library in Princeton, his home town, heading a subscription to fund a black regiment during the Civil War, supporting numerous colleges including being the first American to contribute for the education of women in South Africa. He was a major benefactor of Plymouth Congregational Church of Worcester. He gave away over $250,000 in late 1880's and 1890's. This would be $5.5 million in today’s dollars.

 

IN MEMORY OF REV SAMUEL MELLON WHITING, MISSIONARY TO INDIA (1850-1961)

Rev. Whiting was born on June 25, 1825 and graduated from Trinity College, Hartford, in 1846 and from the Newton Theological Seminary in 1850. He was ordained on May 8, 1850, in the First Baptist Church, Hartford, and was married the next day to Miss Mary Elizabeth Flint of that city. In June following, they sailed from Boston for Assam, India, as missionaries of the American Baptist Missionary Union, and arrived at Gowahati, Assam, in April, 1851.

His missionary service in India covers a period of a little over ten years, a decade rendered remarkable in the history of our missions by the enlargement of missionary operations, and the triumphs of the cross over the powers of heathenism. Mr. Whiting was qualified by natural endowments, culture, learning, piety and zeal, to enter into, and help forward this aggressive work. He translated large portions of the Old Testament from Hebrew into Assamese, a work which reflects great credit upon his accurate scholarship. He was successful as pastor and preacher, as teacher and translator, as editor and financier, proving himself equal to all these high trusts. For four years he took charge of the printing establishment, and for two years he had the whole charge of the mission at Sibsagor.

He did great work for Assam, and left behind him there a name and an influence that will live in all coming time. He returned to this country on account Mrs. Whiting’s health in 1861, and entered at once into earnest work for the Master.

For seven years he was the esteemed and successful pastor of the church in Colchester, Vermont. While there he performed a large amount of varied and useful work in the New Hampshire Institution at Fairfax, and in the various religious organizations of the state; showing in these spheres the same versatility of talent, mature wisdom, and executive ability which had characterized his services in India. He was a very highly esteemed in ministerial circles beyond the Baptist denomination, and was pronounced by the best judges in Vermont the foremost Hebrew scholar in the state. He was as modest and unassuming as he was profound in classical scholarship. He was as true in principle and unswerving in integrity.

For four years he was the honored pastor of the ancient and venerable church in Windsor, Vermont, a worthy successor of the devoted and able Elijah Hutchinson of blessed memory. From Windsor he was called to Fair Haven, Connecticut, where the crowning work of his pastoral life was accomplished. The church there owes to him, under God, almost its very existence. He found them without a house of worship, few and feeble, worshiping in a hall over King’s Hotel. While looking faithfully after the spiritual interests of the church were also greatly built up under his ministry, and the church stands today as a monument of his fidelity and ability. In the midst of these abundant labors his health gave way, and he was forced to resign all connection with this cherished work and retire from the active ministry of the Word. Since then he has lived in New Haven, an invalid in steadily failing health. He died Feb 21, 1878.

From the Watchman and Reflector. –A Baptist Weekly 

 

JESUS IN THE HOME OF
MARY AND MARTHA

 

 

GIFT OF THE LADIES SOCIAL AND BENEVOLENT SOCIETY DEC 1913

 
IN MEMORY OF DEACON EDWIN HAVEN HUTCHINSON AND WIFE MARY ANN FISK WATERS

Edwin Haven Hutchinson was a prominent member of the town of Sutton where he was a Selectman, deacon of First Church, and served as a Member of the Massachusetts House of Representatives. Edwin was baptized born on Aug 22, 1821, Married to Mary Ann on Dec 12, 1844. Mary Ann was born on 12 Dec 1820.

They had a son William Horace Hutchinson, who served in the Union Army during the Civil War. On June 3, 1864, during the Battle of Cold Harbor, he was with a Unit of 300 men which was down from an original total of 1050. They attacked against a fortified position that had no chance of succeeding. That morning 220 were killed, wounded or captured including William who was killed.

It is reported that there is an entry in a dairy written by Willie’s father, (Deacon Edwin) with a statement that says, "Brought in hay this morning, Picked up Willie at the train station this afternoon". He is a forth cousin four times removed to Deacon Paula Hutchinson.

 

GIFT OF DEXTER A. BRIGHAM AND FAMILY

Dexter A. Brigham was a prominent and useful citizen of the town. He was a prosperous produce and dairy farmer. He served as Selectman, Overseer of the Poor and Chairman of Assessors. Mr. And Mrs. Brigham were very active in the Congregational Church of Sutton and Mr. Brigham served as Deacon for many years, superintendent of the Sunday School and was chairman of the Finance Committee at the time of his death. He was well known for his benevolences and generosity to all worthy causes. Jim Brigham and J Dexter Brigham are Grandsons of Dexter.

IN MEMORY OF ABBIE KING RICE

Abbie King was born on April 26, 1850 and married Henry F Rice on May 2, 1876. Henry F Rice, born on Jan 29, 1844, was the husband of Abbie and father of Alice Julia Rice. He lived to be the oldest living veteran of the Civil War from Sutton. He invented and manufactured the Dobby Chain, which was an important item in the weaving of cotton fabric.

 

IN MEMORY OF SUMNER PUTNAM AND HIS WIFE SUSAN DUDLEY WHO WERE LIBERAL DONORS TO THIS PARISH

When Sumner was about eighteen, his father Joseph, sent him to Oxford to learn to make sale shoes; after remaining there three months he returned. His father built him a little shop and told him to go in and work at his trade; he would give him his board and clothes, and he might have all he could earn. So Sumner worked early and late, putting his earnings at interest. Consequently when he died he left twenty-five thousand dollars. He was a selectman for several years. He was born on Dec 2, 1809. Susan Dudley was born on Dec 11, 1812. Married on July 1, 1840.

IN MEMORY OF ALICE JULIA RICE

Alice Julia Rice was born on May 14, 1884 and died of Scarlet Fever at age 17 on December 22, 1901.

 

IN MEMORY OF GEORGE AND LUCY HASTINGS

George Hastings was born in 1821 and Lucy Hutchenson Morse, who was born on August 22, 1818 in Sutton were married on Dec 10, 1844 in Sutton.

Lucy H Morse was born on Aug 22, 1818 in Sutton. Ellen Hastings was their daughter born in Sutton on August 1, 1848.

IN MEMORY OF GEORGE F WOODBURY, MD

George F Woodbury was born in Sutton on Oct 16, 1851 and died in Worcester in June 1893. He had a medical practice in Worcester. His spouse was Ellen Hastings whom he married in 1883.

IN MEMORY OF ELIJAH AND PAMELIA SIBLEY

He was born on May 25, 1820 and married Pamelia Jones, born in 1819, on Nov 24, 1842. They lived in Sutton and Worcester.

 

IN MEMORY OF ALVAN WOODBURY PUTNAM AND WIFE MARY LOVELL KNIGHT

In Memory of Alvan Woodbury Putnam and wife Mary Lovell Knight. Alvan was born on Oct 18, 1824 and died on Apr 15, 1891. Mary was born in 1826 and died in 1903.


WINDOWS IN THE NARTHEX


The windows by the front door were given by the Young People’s Society of Christian Endeavor and the Junior Society of Christian Endeavor.
   
SOURCES;

History of the Town of Sutton Massachusetts 1704-1876 Volume I

Compiled by Rev William A Benedict and Rev. Hiram A Tracy

History of the Town of Sutton Massachusetts 1876-1050 Volume II

Compiled by The Town History Committee John C. Dudley Chairman

Sutton Mass Vital Records to 1850

Published by Franklin P. Rice Worcester, Mass

Sutton Historical Society Bulletin Januzry 20, 2007, Vol 45 No1.

Carl Hutchinson
 
 

Click to return to Home Page